Dear Fifth Grade Families,
It’s hard to believe that summer is drawing to a close and we will be back at school soon. I hope you have had an enjoyable and safe break!
The 5th grade teachers have been planning for the new exciting academic year. We hope you are as excited as we are and that you are looking forward to a new set of adventures and some stimulating new challenges. We are counting on your ideas and actions to make this year fabulous.
Fifth grade at Smith School is a very important year. You are now the oldest students in our building and with that comes many privileges and new responsibilities. This year you will set an example for the younger students and have an opportunity to be leaders within our school community, demonstrating your good judgment, creativity, and commitment to learning. We want you to come to school with an open mind, a positive attitude, and determination to succeed.
First Week of School
Listed below are a couple of things that are important to help make your first week of school go smoothly:
- Parents, please check your email and our Tenafly Public Schools district website for the latest information on our district opening plan. You will also want to check our school website for the numerous forms that must be downloaded and returned to school as soon as possible. These forms contain important information about emergency contact numbers, medical information, etc.
- Parents, please check under “Important Documents” on my school page for a parent survey on Google Forms! This will help me get to know your student a little better before the first day of school.
- Students, please bring your school supplies to school on the first day you are scheduled to come to our classroom. If you purchased supplies from the HSA, they will be in the classroom on the first day (unless they have been delivered to your home sooner.)
- Students, please bring in an independent book to read each day beginning on the 1st day of school. Get in the habit of always having an independent reading book with you.
- Students, please bring in one current picture of yourself (4” x 6” or smaller) and a picture of you with your family. You will also want access to some pictures of yourself and your family digitally as well.
Remember, that together with your parents we are a TEAM and by cooperating and working TOGETHER, your last year at Smith will be filled with some of your fondest memories. I am looking forward to meeting you and your family, and know that an exciting and adventurous year is just around the corner. Enjoy the rest of your summer.
See you soon!