Office of English Language Learning
Welcome 2018-2019 School Year
Welcome back and I hope you have enjoyed an amazing summer! Please click on any of the side links for more information on our program!
There is much to be excited about this year, and I look forward to sharing with you as the year goes on. Please email me with any questions regarding our ELL program
Mr. Freddy R. Nuñez
Supervisor of ELL, Fine and Practical Arts
Tenafly Public Schools
- Statistics on English Learners (EL's) in the United States: Click here
- 2018 ACCESS Scores: Will be sent in the mail very soon.
Our ELL ProgramIf your child is participating in the ELL program here, then you should be proud in knowing that our K-12 ESL program is considered one of the best in the State. It was awarded the designation as a New Jersey Department of Education ESL model school district from 2010-2012 (http://www.nj.gov/education/bilingual/resources/slr/mprc.pdf).
Here is a small sample of what our ESL Program does for our students:
ELL instruction is a pull out program where students are sent to the ELL Teacher for instruction every day. ESL instruction is anywhere between 45 to 75 minutes depending on the school.
There are many advantages to this type of program, and here in Tenafly, it is very successful. Here is a web site that speaks of the advantges of Pull out instruction for ELL's
Our program in the Middle and High Schools includes:
- High Intensity ESL classes (2 or more class periods of ELL Instruction Daily)
- At the High School, an additional course is given to prepare students for taking the HSPA Exam, and in the near future, the PARCC exam.
- Classes designed to support language development and vocabulary in the content area.
- ELL Teachers in content area classes that maintain the academic rigor that is expected, but with language development support in key areas, especially reading and writing.
Office of ELL, Fine and Practical Arts
19 Columbus Drive
Tenafly, NJ 07670
201-816-6668 (HS) 201-816-4928 (MS)
Mr. Freddy R. Nuñez, Supervisor of ELL, Fine and Practical Arts