Graduate Credits & Salary Adjustment
Please be reminded of the following language in the 2021-2024 TEA Agreement: "All graduate credits for which credit on the salary guide and/or tuition reimbursement is given, must be earned at a State accredited institution of higher learning and must be specifically approved three weeks prior to the start of courses by the Superintendent of Schools or designee, utilizing the following criteria:
- Direct relevance to the instructional duties and responsibilities of the person taking the graduate course.
- Direct relevance to the district assigned significant non-instructional duties and responsibilities of the person taking the graduate course.
- Courses that are specifically required as part of a formal Master’s or Doctor’s Degree program or based on a certificate program in which the teacher in enrolled.
The provisions contained herein shall be interpreted consistent with N.J.S.A. 18A:6-8.5. To the extent that any provision contained herein is inconsistent with that statute, the provisions of the statute shall control.”
Additionally, salary adjustments are done twice per academic year.
In the Fall, a salary adjustment form (fully completed listing dates and information for all college/university must be received by Personnel by the October 1st deadline. The Board of Education approves the adjustments at a Board Meeting and payroll makes the adjustment retroactive to September 1st.
In the Spring, a salary adjustment form (fully completed listing dates and information for all credits to be used for movement) and official transcripts sent directly from the college/university must be received by Personnel by the February 1st deadline. The Board of Education approves the adjustments at a subsequent Board Meeting and payroll makes the adjustment retroactive to February 1st.
Please familiarize yourself with tuition reimbursement details contained within the TEA Agreement.
Please see the attached Application for Approval of Graduate Credit and Salary Adjustment Form; kindly discard all previous forms.
You will note that the form is now standardized to allow you to submit one form for the entire process:
- Approval of Gradual Credit (individual courses and full programs)
- Movement on the Salary Guide
- Tuition Reimbursement
Kindly review the form for submission guidelines, dates, etc. and do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.
Your completed form should be submitted to Jeannine Wright, Human Resources Secretary.
Thank you and happy studying,
Regionally accredited college or university" means an institution of higher education accredited by one of the following regional accreditation associations:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools:
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges;
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools;
- Northwest Association of School and Colleges;
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and
- Western Association of School and Colleges.