Greeting: Welcome to the K-8 Discovery Program! There are special interest Discovery courses scheduled at Tenafly Middle School throughout the year, and enrichment programs at each of our elementary schools. Assignments in the homework column for The TMS Quiz Bowl Team are updated weekly in the columns to the left of this page.
- Why is the abbreviation lb. used for the word pound ? Lb is an abbreviation of the Latin word libra. The primary meaning of libra was balance or scales (also used in an astrological sign), but it also stood for the ancient Roman unit of measure libra pondo, meaning "a pound by weight." We got the word "pound" in English from the pondo part of the libra pondo but our abbreviation comes from the libra.
- Who invented lattice multiplication? Lattice multiplication comes from India or Persia. It was in use there for a long time before a European mathematician named Fibonacci was born. He learned about many great mathematical ideas, including lattice multiplication. He wrote a book about them that became popular in Europe.
- Who invented zero? The practice of using zero as a number came from a mathematician in India named Brahmagupta in or around the year 650 CE. Brahmagupta invented the rules for how zero works. The idea was so good that it spread quickly to Egypt and Arabian countries because there were trading routes between these countries and India.
Halloween Logic Puzzles:
Frequently Used Math Practice Sites:
- Sheppard Software
- Mr Bowen's Math Practice Site (under repair)
- Visual Math Fraction Circles
- NRich Maths: Primary Grades
- Purple Math Resources
Other puzzle sites: Click here to play
Please check the new pages for students and families. It includes many additional puzzle sites!
NJ Law Fair Information: NJ Law Fair