Greeting: Welcome to the K-8 Discovery Program! During the weeks while we are away from our school buildings, instruction will go on. New assignments as well as videotaped and live lessons will be listed on the website for each grade level in the boxes shown on the left side of my screen. In addition, each grade level will have a group meeting once a week. These will be drop-in to share meetings. Each student will bring a logic or math puzzle/brain teaser to share.
Schedule of lessons and group meetings:
Additional time, if needed (2)
NOTE: Our Tic-Tac-Toe math enrichment packets will be available on the opening page of my grade level classwork and homework sites. These enrichment packets are designed to suit students who have a passion for math - and for having fun. I am building the second grade sets of Tic-Tac-Toe projects, too. You can find the first two on page one of the second grade assignment page.
New Puzzles Sites for all ages:
Vertex: Harder than most connect the dot puzzles! : https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/vertex
Spelling Bee: https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/spelling-bee
AND: Don't forget to check the Family Resources Page for a long list of logic puzzles and math games, as well as reading resources.
Brain Teasers of the Week
Left: If 3 cats can catch 3 bunnies in 3 minutes, how Right: How many times does the digit 5 appear in the numbers
long will it take 100 cats to catch 100 bunnies? from 1 to 100?
Answers to last week's puzzles: Puzzle on the left. There are five children in the Smith family. One boy and 4 girls.
Puzzle on the right: (A+B)=76 So -A+B=-38 If it is added together, 2B=38, B=19 is found. A = 57 f B = 19. 57/19= 3
Math Cartoons of the Week:
Frequently Used Math Practice Sites and Puzzles:
- https://www.thatquiz.org/ This is the original, all-inclusive Mr. Bowen Site
- Math Olympians Contests:
- 6th Grade http://fac-staff.seattleu.edu/nirmalag/web/mpmathclub/SMO6.html
- 5th grade http://fac-staff.seattleu.edu/nirmalag/web/mpmathclub/SMO5.html
- 4th grade: http://fac-staff.seattleu.edu/nirmalag/web/mpmathclub/SMO4.html
- Math League Contests: https://mathleague.com/index.php/annualcontestinformation/samplecontests
- Sheppard Software
- Math Shed Resources: http://www.mathematicshed.com/maths-challenge-shed.html
- Mr Bowen's Math Math Puzzlers: https://www.bowenpeters.com/challenge-math
- Mr Bowen's Practice Tests: https://sites.google.com/a/tomballschools.net/wces-math-club/home/number-sense-practice-tests
- Mr Bowen's 5th Gr Challenge: https://www.bowenpeters.com/6th-grade-accelerated-math.html
- Dad's worksheets https://www.dadsworksheets.com
- Visual Math Fraction Circles
- NRich Maths: Primary Grades
- Purple Math Resources Purple Math
- Math Shed Puzzles: Math Shed
- 50 Math Puzzles: 50 Problems
- Figure This! Math challenges
- Math Contests: Sample questions Sample math challenge pages
- Math Wire: Math Wire
- https://www.dadsworksheets.com/ Dad's Worksheets
Great research sites: Library Media Center Page: https://tinyurl.com/yd896v35 Media Studies 6 Page: https://tinyurl.com/yd9o3x8zhttps://www.juniorlibraryguild.com/at-home?utm_term=Learn%20More%21&utm_campaign=FREE%20eBook%20access%20for%20your%20homebound%20readers%21&utm_content=email&utm_soure=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email
Other puzzle sites: Click here to play
Please check the new pages for families. It includes many additional puzzle sites!
NJ Law Fair Information: NJ Law Fair