- Symptomatic individuals who test positive on any approved test – rapid, home, self, or doctor’s office – are considered positive and must follow the guidelines for positive individuals, including reporting these results to your school.
- If a rapid test is positive, but the individual is asymptomatic and unvaccinated, the individual is still counted as COVID positive but encouraged to take a PCR test. A negative result on a PCR test within 48 hours overrides the previous positive, allowing an earlier return to school date.
NOTE: A negative test is no longer required for unvaccinated close contacts to return to school.
- Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 and are symptomatic or individuals with COVID-19 symptoms who weren’t tested or who are waiting for test results:
- Stay home and quarantine from other people for at least 5 full days (day 0 is the first day of symptoms).
- If symptom and fever-free for 24 hours quarantine can end after 5 full days (i.e., on day 6).
- If symptoms persist (fever or symptoms have not improved), continue to isolate until symptom and fever-free for 24 hours.
- Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 but have no symptoms:
- Stay home and isolate from other people for at least 5 full days (day 0 is the day of the positive viral test).
- If no symptoms develop, quarantine can end after 5 full days (i.e., on day 6).
- If symptoms develop within one week of the positive test, the 5-day quarantine period starts over with day 0 being the first day of symptoms. Follow recommendations above for ending quarantine for individuals who have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Remember to keep your school informed of status, especially if symptoms develop. The school nurse will provide direction based on the most current status.
- School Reporting:
- If test is laboratory-confirmed, email test result documentation to school nurse
- If test is rapid/home/self-test that is not laboratory-confirmed positive, email to school nurse a photo that includes: test result, test packaging, and piece of paper with student’s name and date test was taken.
- Individuals returning after day 5 need to continue wearing a well-fitted mask when around others and not able to maintain a distance of 6+ feet through day 10. For those ending quarantine on day 5, this would be during days 6 through 10.
- Any individual who is unable to wear a mask for the duration of the entire school day, except when eating, should not seek to return to school prior to Day 11 (see Option 2).
- Returning to school on day 6 has additional health and safety requirements that must be adhered to by all individuals returning in-person on days 6-10. See Options for Returning to School.
Last Modified on May 23, 2022