Public Comment Guidelines for BOE Meetings
During the course of the Board of Education meeting, the Tenafly Board of Education offers community members an opportunity to address issues regarding the operation of the Tenafly Public Schools. Our goal is to maintain the formality, decorum, and efficiency of our meetings.
- Community members who wish to participate in the meeting may do so logging into the webinar or attending the meeting in person.
- Community members who wish to speak must raise their hand in person or virtually and, when called on, must identify themselves by name and address and limit their comments to items listed on the agenda and/or items directly related to the operation of the School District. Each speaker will have three minutes to address the Board. A timer will be displayed on the screen.
- Community members will not be recognized to speak for a second time until all other community members wishing to speak have been heard.
- Issues raised by community members may or may not be responded to by the Board.
- The Board asks that guests be courteous and mindful of the rights of other individuals when speaking. The Board has the discretion and authority to mute or stop any person who becomes disruptive during the meeting.
- Comments regarding students and employees of the Board are discouraged and will not be responded to by the Board. Students and employees have specific legal rights afforded by the laws of New Jersey. The Board bears no responsibility nor will it be liable for any comments made by members of the public. Members of the public should consider their comments in light of the legal rights of those affected or identified in their comments and be aware that they are legally responsible and liable for their comments.
Public comments will be accepted via email to any sitting Board of Education member. Emailed comments must include the author’s name and address, and must be received by 6:00 pm on the day of the meeting. Please write “Public Comment for Board Meeting” in the subject line. Emailed comments that adhere to the aforementioned guidelines will be read aloud during the meeting. The Board may summarize written comments to adhere to time limits, if necessary.