In third grade music, we begin by reviewing essential concepts learned in 1st grade and kindergarten. This includes:
- Matching pitch
- Keeping a steady beat
- Echoing simple rhythms and melodic phrases
- Musical elements such as loud/soft, high/low, and fast/slow
Third grade music learning goals include:
- Reading and performing notation on the staff
- Matching and performing solfege pitches "sol", "mi", "la", and "do"
- Reading and performing more complex rhythms from musical notation, such as quarter, 8th, and half notes/rests.
- Understanding how to count rhythms and put a numerical value to them
- Expanding knowledge of famous works and composers
- Learning how to improvise during group songs and games
- Performing, creating, and improvising on various instruments