Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Andrea Florczak
Middle schoolers, what do YOU want to be when you grow up? You're probably not sure yet. Don't worry; you've got plenty of time to decide and even change your mind a jillion times! And maybe, like me, you'll get to live more than one dream! My high school friends all knew that I was destined to become a magazine editor -- and in fact, I followed my heart to journalism school at Syracuse University and loved my career writing and editing feature stories. But after 20 years, I followed my heart again -- and went back to school to become a teacher. Why? Because as a Language Arts teacher, I could combine my love of writing (and reading) and make a difference at the same time -- because YOU matter! This is my twelfth year teaching Language Arts at TMS. I live in Tenafly, so expect an occasional "Mrs. Florczak sighting" at the library or Stop and Shop -- which might feel a little weird at first, but I think it's nice to run into one another! Scroll down for some Mrs. Florczak trivia:
* Favorite books: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Dune by Frank Herbert, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Giver and companion novels by Lois Lowry, The Cuckoo Clock by Mrs. Molesworth (yes, really -- originally published in 1877, I have a crumbling copy of the tale that transported me to another world, but you can access it online at http://digitial.library.upenn.edu/women/molesworth/clock/clock/html).
* Favorite poems: "Abandoned Farmhouse" by Ted Kooser, "Birches" by Robert Frost, "Vacation" by Rita Dove
* Favorite genre: realistic fiction, but I also enjoy reading memoirs and science fiction
* Books I read (actually, re-read!) this summer: The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
* Book I'm currently reading: a novel based on the life of Madame Tussaud (Have you been to the wax museum?)
* Book on deck: The Penderwicks on Gardam Street
* Word I spelled wrong in my fourth grade spelling bee: committee
* Favorite subjects: math in high school and English every year (of course!)
* Random fact: I learned to tap dance for a high school musical.
* Favorite color: purple
* Favorite TV shows: anything on HGTV, The Office, Modern Family, Stranger Things, The Crown
* Longtime ambition: to write a novel -- maybe a YA book!